Chair: Mei-Mei Chun-Moy Vice-Chair: Natasha Palestino Secretary: Sophia Vahanvaty Public Relations: Liza Pertseva
Open to the community and Youth Commission
Mei-Mei Chun-Moy, Shu Yang, Natasha Palestino, Sophia Vahanvaty, and Liza Pertseva
To increase the well-being of children, youth, and transitional aged youth through policy and legislation.
Goals of the Committee
- Send recommendations to the San Mateo County Board of Supervisors to endorse state legislation that benefits youth.
- Create policy and legislation at both the county and state level.
- Bring awareness to the Youth Commission about the legislative process.
- Seek to engage the public youth on legislative topics.
- Approved by Governor August 12, 2013. Filed with Secretary of State August 12, 2013.
- Request for Signature Letter sent by the SMCYC to the SMC Board of Supervisors.
- Introduced by Assembly Member Mullin
(Coauthors: Assembly Members Ammiano, Fox, and Gordon)
(Coauthor: Senator Leno)
- Request for Signature Letter sent by the County Manager’s Office, on behalf of the SMC Board of Supervisors and the SMCYC.
- Last Action by the County: 08/28/12: Voted in favor to support Children Now’s “The Children’s Movement of California”
- Letter written to Supervisor Carole Groom to request a vote in favor of support.
Founded in the Spring of 2012, the Legislative Committee works to advise the County Board of Supervisors on legislation affecting children, adolescents, and transitional aged youth. The groups reviews state and assembly bills and choose ones to work hard to advocate for their passing. This FY, they are working on amending the County’s Legislative Program to include more priorities affecting youth, and are working on creating a state bill to take to Sacramento.
Every 2ndrd Thursday of each month 5:45pm- 7:30pm at 700 South Claremont Street, Suite 110, San Mateo
Agenda and Minutes
January 21st, 2013 – Agenda | Minutes
December 10th, 2012 – Agenda | Minutes
December 3rd, 2012 – Agenda | Minutes
November 19th, 2012 – Agenda | Minutes
October 15th, 2012 – Agenda | Minutes
September 17th, 2012 – Agenda | Minutes
Bills and letters
AB 1266: Pupil Rights: Sex Segregated School Programs and Activities
ACA 7: Elections: Voting Age